Friday, August 20, 2010

Dirty Laundry


There is a tom petty song called free falling- and a line in it says “ I'm gunna leave this world for a while”. That is what we have done on this adventure. It took us (me) about 24 hours to relax into this style of travel (RV) that I have always made fun of, because I have never understood it. As I look across the tree-used-as-a-clothesline I set up, I laugh so hard. The items on the line tell the story. Underpants hanging there from an afternoon swim, a forgotten bathing suit, towels, and my husband’s shirt wet from diving in after a hurt child. Each piece of clothes drying has its own paragraph of adventure. It hangs behind our picnic-style dinner table, and doesn’t bother me in the least. Motor boats and jet skiers in the background, and some very interesting folks from all parts of America…its all part of this journey in reaffirming what is really important. My children fought like bad business partners the first day. Now they are helping each other. My older daughter helped my youngest after she was bitten by a spider, walking her back to the campsite. A week ago it would have been eyes rolling. We are happy today.

No comments:

Post a Comment