Thursday, August 13, 2009

Braces

My 6 year old twins went to their summer camp today with their best buddy, Ben Centeno. This leaves me and my 9 year old daughter alone for the day...what a treat! Other than our first orthodontics appointment, I had a fun morning all ORGANIZED (what a surprise). Our dog, Ginger, even woke with a very severe ear pain, but we seemed to fit that into our morning too. First, off to the vet with Ginger. She was anesthetized, got the pricker out of her ear, Maggie cried, we moved on. Out in 30 minutes. Then off to get our nails done for the first time in quite a while! Then a quick lunch, groceries, 2 other stops and off to the Orthodontist. The entire morning was filled with "OK, will I have to get braces?" "Maggie, we wont know a thing until we get there. This is just a preliminary meeting". "OK. but will it hurt?". "Maggie, IF you need braces, it wont hurt" "OK, but is it like a cavity?" No response from mom. "Do I get to pick colors?" No response from mom "Is it quick or long?" no response from mom "Is it like a tapping on my tooth or a really heavy pushing?" "SWEETHEART...i have NO IDEA if you even need braces! Lets just wait and see!" "OK mom".........silence.........."But does it hurt?"
So we arrive in the orthodontist office. Maggie's eyes are HUGE, and even the lady at the front desk says "oh, are you a little nervous sweetheart? no need. nothing will happen today".
We got called into the back and the assistant (a very sweet woman) told us today is just pictures of our teeth and a consultation with the doctor. I asked if I could have my teeth photographed too- as a have a little crowding in the lower front of my mouth. I also thought that would help Maggie to have mommy do it. We both had pictures. The doctor came in and spoke to Maggie first "well, Maggie your bite is beautiful! you really can see how well you brush, Your gums look very healthy" She smiled. "your bite is really well aligned and your teeth are all coming in perfectly. Lets meet again in 1 year". "wait! so i don't need braces" Maggie said. "no, not now" Maggie looked completely let down. Deep inside, i think she really wanted them. "lets look at your moms photos now" said the doctor. "Elise, your bottom teeth are quite crowded and its only going to get worse". You have got to be joking, i thought. "A retainer may take care of 60% of your problem, but you would have to wear it all day and all night, AND, no guarantee it will really resolve your issue. My recommendation is that you need a full set of braces to really correct this bite issue and straighten those bottom teeth so they dont cause any further problems". No way. Is this a joke? I need braces and my kid doesn't? Maggie looked thrilled. "MOM! how cool! You get braces!" ugh.
"Mags, i really don't know if i will get them. I am an adult and its awkward for an adult to wear braces". that began the lecture. I opened myself up for it. "Mom! How could you tell me that braces would be fine and not to worry, but when YOU need them its awkward? uncomfortable? c'mon mom, that's just not fair". She was right. Again, corrected by a 9 year old. So, mom is getting braces and Maggie isn't. 
It gets better. When my dad called this morning, I told him the ironic twist to the braces expedition. He said "I had to have braces when I was 40 too! My bottom teeth were all crowded and I had to wear them for a year" (sound familiar?) He continued "I still have a permanent retainer type thing in that keeps them straight". OK- thanks for the heads up Dad. And for the genes. Here is to braces for your kids?!





No comments:

Post a Comment