Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Camp Momma

This week of summer the kids are not signed up for any camps. I know every mom can relate to the mixed emotions that come from that opening sentence; excitement, joy, anxiety and exhaustion.
Just hanging at home with me, riding bikes, hiking, swimming and enjoying the beauty of summer. I love it, truly. But sometimes it can be a bit daunting. Having 3 bosses that are all under 10 can make you feel quite defeated. We did a lot this week and had a fantastic time. One day there were just too many demands. Lots of "mom, I'm thirsty", "mom, where is my bathing suit", "mom, why is the cat hanging on the curtains?", "mom, i have to go to the bathroom"..."THEN just go!" I replied. Even thought I don't give into every need and question, just hearing it is like nails on a blackboard sometimes.
My father called during his business travels to catch up and see how the kids are. "What are they doing this week?" he asked kindly. "Oh, it's camp mom this week" I said. My very supportive father said "Ah! Thats the best camp! Lucky kids" to which I replied "Oh, its normally pretty fun, but sometimes the councillor gets a bit bitchy!"
His comment was a good reminder that I am doing this for the kids. I am fortunate to be able to spend this time with them.
Here's to lightening up and enjoying the ride. Happy Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment